04/03/2015 OFA Round Table : Regulating a Borderless Internet : EU vs US Perspectives on Net Neutrality
- OFA Round Table : Regulating a Borderless Internet : EU vs US Perspectives on Net Neutrality
- Presentation Frode Sorensen
- Presentation Antonios Drossos
- OFA White Paper - Regulating a Borderless Internet: EU vs US Perspectives on Net Neutrality
- Early in 2015, the Federal Communications Commission voted on a new set of rules applying Title II of the Communications Act of 1934 to the internet, bringing broadband Internet under the regulatory framework of public utility services. At the same time on the other side of the Atlantic, the European Union is about to decide on its own framework for regulation of the network. After a vote in Parliament in 2014 which toughened up the proposal of the Commission, Member States have recently reached an agreement and are proposing a principle-based approach to Net Neutrality. Issues, however, such as how to tackle positive discrimination also known as 'zero-rating' appear to remain unresolved.